Boulder Community School of Integrated Studies (BCSIS) is a holistic, arts-integrated school in which active involvement and academic excellence provide a foundation for learning and self-expression. BCSIS integrates several culture-building programs into our classroom routines which promote positive behaviors, independent decision-making, close and positive classroom environments, and effective problem-solving skills.
The Boulder Community School of Integrated Studies (BCSIS) provides a rich aesthetic environment in which artistic expression, active involvement, and academic excellence provide a foundation for the learning experience. A holistic approach addresses the head, heart, and hand of each child. Rhythm and sensitivity to unique developmental ages assure that students are held in a secure place where, through exposure to multicultural activities and creative projects, they emerge as self-defined, competent, and compassionate individuals.
The BCSIS approach is inspired by the work of several leading educators and a variety of methods, including:
- Arts-integrated education
- The multiple intelligences (Howard Gardner) and other applications of multi-dimensional whole brain/body learning
- Waldorf schooling (Rudolf Steiner)
- The student-initiated project-learning approach of integrated day programs
- An understanding of diversity and multiculturalism
- The skill-building techniques of traditional Western education
Why choose BCSIS?
- A strong, multi-cultural curriculum creates many learning dimensions that allow our students to find their interests and strengths.
- Our unique learning environment allows children and the teacher to remain together as they journey through the grades.
- Our teachers value their own growth and professional development.
- We are recognized as a school of excellence by the Colorado Alliance for the Arts in Education, and a recipient of the John Irvin Award for Excellence.
- Our school is inspired by The Multiple Intelligences of Howard Gardner, aspects of Waldorf Education, Arts Integration, Integrated Day, as well as the skill-building techniques of traditional western education and the Content Standards developed by the State of Colorado.
- A full English as a Second Language academic program.
- Our students experience academic rigor through the implementation of Multiple Intelligences and Arts Integration.